Corporate Accountant - Shared Services
Corporate Accountant – Shared Services
Reference # HL-17882
Formed in 2016 as an independent not-for-profit company, Vestcor Inc. is an integrated investment management, pension and benefits administration organization that is jointly owned by the New Brunswick Public Service Pension Plan and the New Brunswick Teachers’ Pension Plan. Located in Fredericton, NB, they are the largest investment manager in Atlantic Canada providing global investment management services to ten different client groups representing approximately $21.0 billion in assets under management. They also provide administration services to eleven pension plans and four employee benefits plans.
We are excited to partner with Vestcor, looking for a Corporate Accountant – Shared Services to join their talented team. Reporting directly to the Manager Corporate Controller, the Corporate Accountant (Shared Services) works collaboratively within a Corporate Accounting team of four to deliver accurate and timely financial and management reporting, including corporate financial statement preparation, payroll and benefits processing, expense disbursements, and the annual budget process. The Corporate Accountant is also responsible for agent expense reporting and analysis on behalf of Vestcor’s clients, as well as expense benchmarking analysis. This role also oversees the treasury function of retiree payroll and tax reporting.
Responsibilities will include:
- Prepares the annual corporate financial statements in accordance with Canadian Not for Profit Accounting Standards. Prepares interim corporate financial statements for Board and Audit Committee reporting.
- Facilitates the external audit process by preparing supporting working papers in accordance with timelines established for the audit.
- Assists with research and analysis for changes in accounting standards.
- Works closely with the Administration Division’s Pension Payroll Coordinator to perform the daily treasury of the pension payroll bank account, including recording and reconciling all payroll transactions, remitting insurance payments, payroll tax filings and pension contribution refunds.
- Prepares the quarterly client expenditure memos with budget variance explanations and a year-end projection.
- Provides backup for the team’s timely processing and efficient payment of all supplier invoices and employee expense claims for corporate operations; as well as pension and benefits agent payments.
- Under direction of the Manager Corporate Controller, prepares annual pension plan and investment limited partnership HST filings and annual pension plan rebate claims in accordance with the Excise Tax Act.
- Coordinates the annual budget process and compiles results of budget requests for review by Senior Management.
- Provides ad hoc reporting support for the Manager Corporate Controller, including data gathering for annual financial benchmarking surveys.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- CPA designation and good fundamental knowledge of Canadian Not for Profit Accounting Standards and International Financial Reporting Standards.
- 5+ years of accounting experience.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Advanced Excel spreadsheet skills and strong user of computer applications.
- Team player, strong written and oral presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent multi-tasking skills.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below:
For more information about this exciting opportunity please contact Heather Labucki, Partner, or Jason Ozon, Consultant, at email@example.com. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Jason Ozon know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email