Plant Breeding Technician
Job Title: Plant Breeding Technician
Location: New Annan, PEI
Cavendish Farms is a leading producer of frozen food products for retail and foodservice markets throughout Canada, the United States, and around the world. They have state-of-the-art potato processing plants in Prince Edward Island, Lethbridge, Alberta, and Jamestown, North Dakota, and an appetizer plant in Wheatley, Ontario. Their head office is in Dieppe, New Brunswick and has sales office locations in Toronto, Montreal, and Boston. Partnered with Meridia, Cavendish Farms is in search of a Plant Breeding Technician to join their team in New Annan, PEI.
Reporting to the Agricultural Research & Development Manager, the Plant Breeding Technician will assist and work with the Plant Breeding team in developing new potato varieties; with the objective of improving raw production quality, yield and in turn overall customer satisfaction.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Gather, interpret, record and report research
- Organize and maintain accurate and timely test results, files and records
- Assist in planning, organizing and conducting scientific research in breeding
- Manage plants in the greenhouse and growth chambers including planting, watering, managing growth conditions, emasculations, pollinations, and seed harvest, cleanup and storage preparation.
- Rating of the crossing performance, maintenance of the data/records
- Prepare solutions, reagents, media or stains for prescribed tests
- Plan and installation of small research plots
- Execution of field, greenhouse and laboratory trials
As an experienced Plant Breeding Technician, you combine a strong educational background with previous experience working in a plant breeding program. You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and are able to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
Your qualifications include:
- Bachelor of science degree required in Plant Sciences, Agronomy, Agriculture, Agriculture or Crop & Weed Sciences
- Minimum two years' experience working in a plant breeding program
- Laboratory experience in tissue culture
- Field trials and greenhouse management experience is preferred
- Ability and desire to work in a research environment
- Attention to detail and willingness to learn
- Experience in the use of Microsoft applications and database programs
- Must be willing and able to work extended hours based on business needs
- Valid drivers license
This is an excellent opportunity for anyone looking to join a well-established, industry leading organization. Cavendish Farms Corporation is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below.
For more information contact Thomas Pugh, Partner, at 902-818-4506 and firstname.lastname@example.org or Emma Roberts, Sr. Recruitment Specialist at 902-424-1104 and email@example.com, or please apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” button below. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Thomas or Emma know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email