Senior Land Use Planner
Senior Land Use Planner
Reference No. CG- 17115
Merida Recruitment Solutions has partnered with D.M. Wills, a multi-discipline firm that offers engineering solutions, environmental services, and land use planning services in Peterborough and across Ontario and is seeking a Senior Land Use Planner to join their team.
Reporting to the Planning Department Manager, the Senior Land Use Planner is responsible for leading and administering a broad range of statutory and delegated land use planning functions and services. They lead the land use planning process, manage projects, consult with stakeholders, and complete reporting for land use planning projects.
- Manage and lead complex land use planning projects involving a range of fields, including but not limited to residential, commercial, and industrial development, and resource planning.
- Prepare and lead proposals for a variety of land use planning projects for public and private clients.
- Oversee the preparation of land use planning project reporting/documentation for municipal approval.
- Consult and liaise with project stakeholders including clients and government agencies and maintain open, transparent communication, answering inquiries and addressing concerns, as required.
- Lead and support the interdepartmental staff and project managers in carrying out land use planning projects.
- Lead, coordinate, develop and oversee the preparation of consultation plans/open houses in support of planning applications and projects.
- Provide senior-level subject matter expertise related to land use planning.
- Attend pre-consultation meetings, committees, and council meetings on behalf of clients.
- Participate in Local Planning Appeal Tribunals, as required.
- Problem-solve where issues have been identified (i.e., field operational constraints, scheduling conflicts, unforeseen issues, competing priorities, etc.).
- Oversee administrative duties including but not limited to preparing proposals, project work plans, scheduling spreadsheets, and budget and cost estimates.
- Liaise with internal and external contacts, including attending and participating in project-related meetings, recording meeting notes, providing progress reports on deliverables, and other duties.
- Initiate and lead efforts to promote the reputation of the firm, securing new clients and projects whenever possible.
- Participate in the short and long-term priorities and objectives including specific department business development initiatives.
- 4-year degree in Urban and/or Regional Planning, Geography, or related field.
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience providing some or all of essential duties and responsibilities noted above.
- Full member of the Ontario Professional Planners Institute.
- Participation in professional associations.
- Negotiation skills with government agencies, public stakeholders, proponents, etc. to come to a feasible solution.
- Extensive knowledge of principles and practices of land use planning, RFP, and RFQ submissions.
- Extensive knowledge of principles and practices of project management. project budget development and cost control.
- Extensive knowledge of other legislation and regulations related to department functions, and local and provincial policies and legislation.
- Extensive knowledge of current and emerging planning issues, various disciplines relevant to watershed planning, natural hazard management, environmental management and ability to communicate with professionals in related fields.
- Extensive understanding of land use planning process as it pertains to the land development sector with relevant application experience.
- Ability to prepare professional reports and presentations.
- Extensive analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent work ethic and ability to work on several projects or issues simultaneously.
- Excellent time management skills to meet timelines.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to provide excellent customer service during the consultation process by keeping stakeholders informed and responding to inquiries in an informed and timely manner.
- Strong knowledge of the Ontario Health and Safety Act.
This is a diverse workforce and equal opportunity employer that welcomes applications from all races and genders.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below.
If you have questions about this opportunity, contact Cassandra George, Senior Consultant at 647-888-5199 or email@example.com. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Cassandra know.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email