Senior Project Manager
Job Title: Senior Project Manager
Location: Sydney, NS
Serving multi-residential, industrial, commercial, and institutional customers since its inception in 1966, Atlantica was acquired by The Cahill Group in 2016. Since then, operations have grown from eastern Newfoundland to northern Alberta as Atlantica continues to build some of the largest construction and fabrications sites in the country. With a highly skilled team equipped with the latest tools and leading-edge technologies, Atlantica controls the most crucial aspects of mechanical and electrical construction from design and fabrication, to fire protection, to maintenance services throughout the building's life cycle. Meridia is happy to partner with Atlantic in their search for a Senior Project Manager to lead projects in the Cape Breton region of Nova Scotia.
Working closely with the Director of Mechanical Operations, you will be responsible for the successful execution of projects within Cape Breton. You will be a key partner with clients, suppliers, and subcontractors, forming and maintaining strong relationships throughout the region. As part of keeping projects running smoothly, you will manage and work alongside a small team of specialized professionals. You will oversee a variety of project elements including document control, scheduling, and budgeting, and will ensure information is communicated to the appropriate stakeholders in a timely manner.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Executing, monitoring, and overseeing all aspects (including safety, quality, commercial, and technical) of assigned projects while acting in the best interest of the company to ensure safe, on-time, and on-budget delivery
- Supporting the pursuit of potential projects, including assisting in estimate preparation and bidding
- Leading the transition into project execution upon project award
- Reviewing contract/commercial and technical documents for assigned projects to ensure alignment with the bid as well as for understanding/implementation of requirements
- Facilitating thorough risk identification and risk management before and during project execution
- Developing an execution plan and schedule for each project, and monitoring actuals and implementing recovery plans as required
- Identifying major equipment requirements, identifying vendors/suppliers, and negotiating purchase terms and conditions in the best interest of the project and the company
- Spending time at the work site to proactively identify and resolve issues as required
- Identifying any unique safety hazards at the beginning of each project and as site conditions change, and working with assigned HSE Advisors to develop and implement action plans
- Identifying safety training requirements for site personnel and reviewing all project safety documentation, ensuring that it is regularly updated and communicated
- Being responsible for promoting a culture of health, safety, and environmental accountability, and actively contributing to Cahill's objective of zero lost-time accidents
- Collaborating with Project Controls to ensure appropriate financial controls and reporting is in place for each project.
- Developing and analyzing job cost reports, and taking steps to improve project productivity and profitability
- Producing regular project reports and dashboard summaries and maintain registers for shop drawings, change orders, RFIs, etc. Provide regular reporting to Senior Management as required
- Ensure monthly progress invoices are accurate and issued to clients in a timely fashion
- Ensure proper project closeout documentation is prepared and submitted, including hand over documentation
As an experienced project manager, your background has been focused in large-scale, commercial projects in the mechanical field. An educational background in mechanical or civil engineering/technology is preferred, and construction experience in healthcare would be an asset. You are a well-rounded PM that can handle all aspects of a project, and you have an ability to see how project deliverables fit together and therefore foresee problems before they arise. Your excellent communication and organizational skills have proven useful in providing frequent and effective updates to a number of different stakeholders.
Your qualifications include:
- 5 years minimum of related experience
- Experience in commercial construction and technical knowledge of Mechanical systems is required. Multidiscipline knowledge and experience are an asset
- Project Management Professional (PMP®) certification is an asset
- Must be willing to travel within mainland Nova Scotia and Cape Breton as required
- Strong organizational skills and ability to focus on the safe and effective execution of multiple projects in parallel
- Team leadership, supervisory, and performance management experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to identify, understand, and articulate individual client needs, generate opportunities, and suggest approaches for addressing issues
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite of programs and adaptable to other software applications as required, including MS Project
- Knowledge of QA/QC and HSE management and systems
By joining Atlantica, you will be part of an organization with a reputation for finding solutions to complex problems by thinking progressively, and leveraging the strengths that each employee brings. They are knows for acting with integrity and taking care of their people, creating a work environment that retains great talent. As part of The Cahill Group, one of the largest multi-disciplinary construction companies in Canada and recognized as one of the Best Managed Companies for more than a decade, you will have the resources and opportunity to continue to grow professionally alongside the organization. Projects will be large-scale, high-profile, and have plenty of exciting mechanical aspects, and you will be delivering these projects with a great deal of autonomy while having the support of the strong teams that exist at Atlantica and Cahill.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below.
For more information contact Katherine Risley, Partner, at 902-424-1120 and email@example.com or Emma Roberts, Recruitment Specialist at 902-424-1104 and firstname.lastname@example.org, or please apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” button below. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Katherine or Emma know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email