Human Resources Manager
Human Resources Manager
Reference # AC-16505
Our client is a leading national law firm focused on serving the transaction, advocacy and advisory needs of Canada’s most dynamic business sectors. They have one of the largest business law practices in the country, serving multinational, national and mid-market clients from their offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
Their Vancouver office is currently recruiting for a Human Resources (HR) Manager to be a member of their national HR team, reporting jointly to the Deputy Managing Partner and the Assistant Director HR, Legal Support. This role will foster the firm’s national vision as it relates to policies, procedures, best practices and employee experience while implementing fit-for-purpose solutions for the Vancouver office. The ideal individual will be an approachable, experienced hands-on professional who thrives in a fast-paced, matrixed environment and excels at building relationships.
This position is responsible for the management and execution of day-to-day HR operations including, recruitment, onboarding, supervision, performance management, allocation of resources, assistant share arrangements and workflow distribution for a team of approximately 23 Legal Administrative Assistants (LAAs).
- In consultation with the Deputy Managing Partner and practice group chairs, manage effective and flexible LAA structure and workflow/support arrangements, and work distribution.
- Partner with the Assistant Director HR, Legal Support regarding annual compensation and bonus recommendations for legal administrative assistant resources.
- Directly supervise the LAA team; partner with the Assistant Director HR, Legal Support in the performance review process (probationary, annual and ad hoc) and conduct performance review meetings. Identify performance concerns and develop learning and development plans.
- Manage the LAA mentoring program.
- Work with operational departments to ensure LAAs have the tools and training to effectively perform their roles.
- Chair regular meetings with LAAs, share findings with the Assistant Director HR, Legal Support from a national perspective and implement continuous improvement in the Vancouver office.
- Lead full cycle recruitment for all LAA, paralegal and operations roles including conducting intake meetings with hiring managers, arranging for job postings, engaging staffing agencies as appropriate, interviewing candidates, making recommendations to hiring managers, leading the offer letter process.
- Partner with the National HR Recruiter as it relates to firm standards in the recruitment process, including job posting protocols, interview guides, preferred vendors, offer letter standards, and reporting/statistics.
- Partner with local leaders, the National HR team and other operations department to develop individual onboarding schedules for new hires based on firm standards; lead the onboarding and offboarding process for individuals in the Vancouver office.
- Act as first point of contact for operations team members on HR matters, e.g. questions related to employee relations, benefits/disability programs, policies, absences, escalating to National HR Directors as appropriate.
- Build strong working relationships with all members of the Vancouver office, peer in the Calgary office, and HR team members in the Toronto office to promote a collaborative work environment.
- Understand the national and Vancouver office cultures and implement solutions/initiatives that work for the office while maintaining the overall goal of the solution/initiative.
- Maintain awareness of best practices, trends and changes in the legal industry by fostering relationships with external peers, local colleges and participation in legal support student placement programs.
- Actively participate as a member of the national HR team on various projects to meet strategic long and short-term needs of the firm and the office.
- Minimum 8 years of experience working in an HR function with a minimum of 3 years in an HR Manager role
- Law firm or professional services experience is required.
- Post-secondary degree, preferably in business, administration or HR is required.
- Professional HR certification is an asset.
- Solid understanding of the LAA role is an asset.
- Strong communication, relationship building and conflict resolution capabilities.
- Strong leadership, coaching, facilitation and relationship management skills.
- Demonstrated good judgement and decision-making.
- Proven ability to partner with a variety of stakeholders at all levels of the organization, building credibility as a leader and subject matter expert.
- Proven ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced, team-based environment within challenging deadlines.
- Able to motivate people and foster a positive work environment.
- Flexible attitude and desire to support change.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products, document management and time entry billing systems.
To express interest in this opportunity, please click on the "Apply Now" button below.
For more information, please contact Adam Creaghan, Partner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 647-336-1416 or
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice, we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email