Job Title: Purchasing Manager
Location: Blacks Harbour, NB
Connors Bros. is one of Canada's oldest food producers and is a business unit of Clover Leaf Seafoods Corp. Together with Bumble Bee Seafoods, they are the leading branded ambient seafood company in North America. Connors Bros. is an integrated producer of canned sardine and herring products located on the Bay of Fundy coast in New Brunswick. As a leading international exporter, Connors Bros. is not only the sole producer of sardines in North America but is one of the largest sardine producers in the world. With a consumer-centric commitment to high quality value-added seafood products, the Connors Bros. story is unquestionably one of Maritime success. Partnered with Meridia, Connors Bros. is in search of a Purchasing Manager to join their team in Blacks Harbour, New Brunswick.
As the Purchasing Manager, you will be responsible for the negotiation, supplier management, material specification, supply contracts, and contractor proof of insurance management for parts, equipment, capital orders, frozen fish, and related materials for the Blacks Harbour plant operations. You will utilize different approaches in your sourcing and negotiations to create cost savings, helping Connors Bros. achieve company goals and targets.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Negotiating to create/renew/uphold/terminate supply contracts
- Developing competitive supplier relationships and act as our liaison
- Compiling data to generate weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to be used for cost-saving initiatives
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all internal departments and employees
- Working closely with plant finance, quality, and supply chain manager to ensure materials used in the process are at specification, supply is supported, and costs are captured
- Coordinating product quality issues and supplier performances with Quality Manager
- Managing shipping terms and being familiar with both Ocean and Land shipping terms
- Working closely with Corporate Legal on orders that require contracts
- Placing purchase orders ensuring flow of inventory that guarantees optimum stock levels and meets turnover goals
- Maintaining an extensive database for all orders that is up to date and provides information for analysis and reporting
- Contacting suppliers regarding errors in partial or duplicate shipments, prices, and substitutions
- Ensuring the strict confidentiality and privacy of financial records as they relate to the organization and its business partners
- Performing other duties as assigned
As an experienced procurement and purchasing professional, your background is preferably in food or other manufacturing environments. You have a demonstrated history of being proactive and creative in your approach to sourcing, often being able to find cost savings and other favourable terms & conditions. You are a team player that is able to communicate effectively and build lasting relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. Additionally, you have great organizational and analytical skills, and you work with a keen attention to detail.
Your qualifications include:
- 5 or more years experience in production purchasing environments and vendor management experience
- Post-Secondary Education in supply chain, business management, or equivalent business discipline is considered an asset
- Strong knowledge of payment regulations and fair credit practices
- Must possess a high level of moral judgment for handling confidential information and monetary transactions
- Strong diplomatic, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships internally and externally
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office productivity suite
- SAP experience, as well as CPP, PMP, or CPIM certification a plus
By joining the team at Connors Bros., you will be part of a Maritime-born organization that is a respected leader in their industry. This is a dynamic position that gives you the opportunity to touch all facets of the business. You will be part of an organization that looks to foster teamwork and the entrepreneurial spirit in all of their employees, and a culture that empowers employees to meet their personal goals while exceeding the expectations of customers. You will have the chance to use your expertise to make a real, lasting impact on the organization.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below.
For more information contact Katherine Risley, Partner, at 902-424-1120 and email@example.com or Emma Roberts, Recruitment Specialist at 902-424-1104 and firstname.lastname@example.org, or please apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” button below. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Katherine or Emma know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email