Halifax, Nova Scotia
AM - 16209
Meridia Recruitment Solutions has partnered with Mercer Excavation Ltd, to recruit a General Superintendent to join their team in Halifax, Nova Scotia working on large civil projects throughout the province.
Mercer Excavation Ltd. is an earthworks and environmental group who continues to grow in projects, scope, and in people. Specializing in demolition and remediation in the environmental industry for residential and industrial construction, Mercer Excavation possess a strong sense of urgency and accountability for any project undertaken with a deep regard for safety. Having earned recognition for undertaking large-scale complex projects while offering clients unique services that are innovative and cost effective.
As the General Superintendent you will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the construction site on assigned projects ensuring the work is completed safely and consistent with Mercer standards and project specifications. You will lead and direct all on-site activities, including site security, manpower and logistics as well as establishing on-site work methods, managing materials and supplies, and maintaining accurate and detailed project documents. Most importantly, you will provide safety leadership through implementation of Mercer’s Safety Program while promoting a culture of safety performance.
By joining Mercer Excavation, you will work in an environment where team members have a shared vision to deliver reliable excavation solutions across Atlantic Canada and are truly passionate about what they do. This is an exciting time at Mercer as they look to expand their business, as the team continues to build and grow so will the successful candidate. In exchange for your knowledge and expertise, Mercer is offering a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Develop and drive the construction schedule in conjunction with the project team ensuring that site activities, completion dates and milestones are met;
- Leading OH&S and Environmental initiatives, promoting HS&E standards, policies, procedures, acts and regulations and ensuring they are being followed by everyone on site;
- Maintain daily paperwork including field reports, safety inspections, schedule updates, etc.;
- Ensure sufficient manpower is provided to achieve safety, schedule and quality objectives;
- Provide people leadership through establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with site staff and subcontractors in order to promote positive morale;
- Forecasting any material requirements and collaborating with appropriate stakeholders to ensure that materials are supplied in a timely fashion and meet quality standards as well as receiving and organizing materials with appropriate teams on site;
- Identify and advise of design deficiencies, schedule interruptions or difficulties, and other project issues while working collaboratively with Project Manager to resolve issues;
- Ensuring that orientations, toolbox talks, safety meetings and training is being conducted as necessary.
As the ideal candidate, you have demonstrated success in a similar role, overseeing large scale civil construction projects from start to completion. You are highly organized with an attention to detail and enjoy creating and sharing new ideas. You work well independently and with others. You take pride in the quality of your work, have a strong commitment to ensuring a safe work environment and can motivate staff and identify opportunities to implement processes and methodologies that will increase productivity. This is a great opportunity to work with a growing company that has many exciting projects to come.
- Demonstrated, progressive experience as a Superintendent in civil, demolition, remediation and construction, experience with a variety of concrete construction methods and a trade background is a plus;
- Sound knowledge of construction and building techniques and ability to read and interpret contract drawings and specification;
- Demonstrated safety leadership, promoting safety standards, policies, procedures, acts and regulations and ensuring they are being followed by everyone on site;
- Effective supervision, coordination and scheduling of construction activities to ensure consistent completion of projects on-time, on budget and to the clients’ satisfaction;
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate constructability issues in complex situations and create solutions in the construction plan and schedule;
Understanding of construction equipment use, maintenance, and operation;
- Ability to lead and run effective site meetings with clients, consultants, trades, and internal employees;
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite including MS Project.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below.
For more information contact Austin McLennan, Senior Consultant, at 902-424-1103 and email@example.com or Rebecca Barr, Recruitment Specialist at 902-424-1102 and firstname.lastname@example.org, or please apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” button below. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Austin or Rebecca know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email