Document Specialist (Evening)
Document Specialist (Evening)
Halifax, NS or Montréal, QC, Toronto, ON
Our client, is a highly respected international business law firm with offices in Toronto, New York, Calgary, Montréal and Halifax. They work together to offer seamless cross-border services to their clients all over the world. Their employees enjoy both an exciting, fast-paced work environment and a supportive, collegial and team-based culture. Their positions are best suited to individuals who take pride and ownership in their work and demonstrate exceptional client service in everything they do. They take pride in their ability to attract and retain individuals who excel in their respective fields. They do this by providing stimulating work and learning and development opportunities, as well as a competitive compensation and benefits package. We are pleased to be partnered with them to bring a Document Specialist to their team. The Document Specialist can be based in the Halifax Office, or Montréal office and this is a full-time permanent role during evening/off hours.
The Document Specialist is responsible for providing firm wide document production support at an advanced to expert level using Microsoft Office products, department specific software and other tools to complete work requests such as document conversions, document troubleshooting and stabilization, formatting and automation requests, assisting with markups, comparisons, and quality checking/proof reading requests.
- Manage and respond to document production requests communicating expected completion timelines and suggesting alternate task approaches where appropriate to complete the work in the most efficient, accurate and timely manner.
- Provide word processing services received via digital dictation, handwritten notes, markups, email or voicemail; proofread and quality-check work for appropriate formatting, spelling, grammar, and clarity (not for legal content).
- Troubleshoot documents including up to the coding level to identify and fix issues preventing proper editing and automation, repurposing documents when appropriate, formatting and automating.
- Convert PDFs to different file types (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel), ensuring the converted content is legible, properly formatted and complete.
- Configure Word or PDF content for form completion, editing, printing, or emailing, applying password protection when necessary.
- Produce legible and accurate document comparisons using the most efficient programs and processes.
- Create complex charts by leveraging tools and features available within the Microsoft Office suite including Microsoft Visio.
- Produce document precedents that utilize existing macros, processes and tools.
- Format Excel worksheet data for printing, analyzing and summarization; troubleshoot formulas/functions within Excel, identify discrepancies and errors.
- Create or edit existing PowerPoint presentations ensuring proper slide masters and formatting best practices have been applied.
- Work collaboratively with team members to determine the most effective/efficient method to approach tasks, discuss/provide resolutions to problem document issues, and software issues.
- Make recommendations to processes and system settings to improve document/program stability and increase efficiencies.
- Facilitate closing book generation and printing and image services support by forwarding requests to the appropriate teams and arranging for courier deliveries to principals when necessary.
- Monitoring and redirecting incoming faxes.
- Grant access to restricted workspaces to approved legal professionals and assistants.
- Act as a liaison to other departments by providing training documentation, assisting with resolution of document-related issues, escalating any unresolved document/software/hardware issues to the appropriate group: (Helpdesk, Network Services, Practice Solutions, Learning & Development).
- Participate in firm or department-specific projects or assignments.
- Provide administrative support which may include facilitating last minute changes to travel arrangements managing boardroom bookings/servery requests, and occasionally assisting with docket entry.
Attributes and Experience
- Legal Assistant diploma or post-secondary degree/diploma in office administration is required.
- 5+ years’ related experience, preferably within a legal professional services firm.
- Bilingual (French and English) is preferred.
- Expert in MS Office product suite. MOS Certification would be an asset but is not required.
- Strong client service orientation combined with the ability to manage multiple client needs at the same time.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work well independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to interact with individuals at all levels within the organization.
- Good working knowledge of legal terms, documents and procedures.
- Ability to adapt and learn new technology.
- Exceptional attention to detail and proofreading abilities. Proactive and takes initiative.
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment.
- Flexibility to occasionally work overtime.
This is an amazing opportunity with a highly respected firm. If this sounds like a role where you would excel, reach out now.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below.
For more information about this exciting opportunity please contact Adam Creaghan, Partner, at email@example.com or Fay Hage, Senior Recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Fay Hage know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email