Director of Quality
Job Title: Director of Quality
Location: Rosebank, Prince Edward Island
Established in 1986, South Shore Seafoods Ltd. was one of the first modern era Canadian lobster processors in Prince Edward Island. Today, the company operates under five brands: South Shore Seafoods, Captain Cooke’s Seafood, By The Water Shellfish, Can-Am Lobster & Shellfish, and Howard’s Cove Shellfish. With multiple state-of-the-art facilities, all brands are involved in processing fresh seafood from the crystal-clear waters of PEI and other parts of eastern Canada and Maine. A growing organization with over 350 employees, they are looking to add a Director of Quality to their team in Rosebank, Prince Edward Island.
As the Director of Quality, you will be in charge of the overall food quality and safety programs for South Shore Seafoods Ltd. and its associated brands. You will further develop, enhance, and maintain best practice quality programs and develop a consistent program across all operational locations. You will also conduct plant inspections and root cause analysis to ensure procedures are working effectively. As the key point of contact for all quality related matters, you will establish relationships with various teams across the organization as well as suppliers, customers, and governmental/regulatory bodies.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Administering the overall Quality and Food Safety Program maintenance and enhancement to ensure compliance with existing and emerging national and international regulatory standards, customer expectations, and company expansion
- Providing oversight of day-to-day management of quality-related activities, including troubleshooting, solution development, and implementation
- Providing oversight and maintenance of the Supplier Approval program
- Conducting plant inspection, analysis, and recommendation for ways of improving quality and processes
- Maintaining and expanding Third-party and customer audit certification standards
- Performing root cause analysis and solution development and implementation
- Overseeing microbiological profiling, compliance, and tracking
- Designing, delivering, and/or coordinating technical training activities for corporate staff and employees to enhance skills and knowledge, improve communication, and improve performance
- Ensuring packaging and labelling specification is meeting quality standards
- Being a customer contact on technical issues, and negotiating on issues such as specifications, inspections, problem and complaint resolution, and providing general technical assistance
- Providing technical assistance and advice to the Sales and Marketing team, including provision of specifications and technical documents as required, regulatory advice, assistance with regulatory issues and complaint resolution
- Management of the design, planning, preparation, and delivery of samples
- Designing, executing, overseeing, and analyzing experimental and analytical processes for new products and/or processes
- Conducting program maintenance to ensure compliance with existing and emerging national and international regulatory standards including labelling (eg. Country of Origin Labeling, Customs and Trade Partnership Against Terrorism and Canadian Equivalents, international certification requirements, etc.)
- Liaising with regulatory authorities in Canada and internationally on behalf of the company, suppliers, and customers
- Being a corporate representative on targeted industry and government advisory councils, boards, and interest groups
As a professional in food quality and safety, you have experience building quality programs, working with organizations to instill a culture of quality and continuously improve processes. You are as comfortable out on the floor as you are dealing with a customer or government officials and you use your strong interpersonal and communication skills to gain buy-in from a variety of audiences. Your experience has given you the knowledge to navigate food safety accreditation systems and administer processes and controls to the standard of those accreditations. You enjoy fostering a collaborative team environment and are a self-starter who enjoys the challenge of supporting an organization through its quality journey.
Your qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree in Food Science or related discipline, with additional education and training would be an asset. At a minimum, a HACCP certificate
- 7+ years’ experience in the Food Quality and Safety field including hands-on plant experience in Food Processing and/or Quality Management
- Knowledge and experience with food safety accreditation systems
- Practical experience with project management and/or auditing experience is an asset
- Self-starter and a commitment to continuous learning and improvement
- Ability to be productive independently and within a team
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize, direct, and complete activities and projects of a multi-disciplined team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills among diverse stakeholders within and outside an organization
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and time management skills
- Ability to identify, analyse, and resolve problems involving multiple variables in standardized and non-standardized situations, and with changing priorities
This is an exciting opportunity for a quality professional to join one of the fastest growing seafood companies in Atlantic Canada and continue to develop a best-in-class quality program. You will have the opportunity to grow alongside the company as it expands and your contribution will have impact for years to come.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below.
For more information contact Katherine Risley, Partner, at 902-424-1120 and firstname.lastname@example.org or Emma Roberts, Recruitment Specialist at 902-424-1104 and email@example.com, or please apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” button below. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Katherine or Emma know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email