Senior Investment Accountant
Senior Investment Accountant
Reference # HL-15174
Founded in 1903, the BF&M group of companies operates in Bermuda, Halifax and across the Caribbean. We take great pride in helping our customers protect what matters most, as well as giving back to the communities in which we work. BF&M is comprised of several companies selling health, life, pension, property and casualty insurance products. We are currently recruiting for a Senior Investment Accountant to join the team in the Halifax, Nova Scotia office.
Reporting to the Head of Investments, the Senior Investment Accountant is responsible for the Company’s investment accounting, treasury, financial and regulatory reporting, policies, procedures, systems and controls. In addition, this role is responsible for assisting with quarterly internal and external reporting, including management, Board and regulatory reporting. The position will also provide support to the Head of Investments or Chief Financial Officer with strategic finance initiatives, including business transformation initiatives, process review and enhancement and other global projects and priorities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Investment accounting, treasury, financial and regulatory reporting, policies, procedures, systems and controls
- Support the Head of Investments in all aspects of monthly and quarterly investment portfolio reporting including, but not limited to; IFRS reporting, internal Management and Board reporting, rating agency reporting, and external regulatory reporting
- Complete reconciliation of underlying investment data to general ledger, custodian and asset manager statements, and other analysis to support the valuation of the investment portfolio
- Prepare and review of quarterly journal entry batches to account for the valuation and transactions relating to the group’s fixed income, equity and alternatives portfolios
- Report on the direct mortgage portfolio and preparing the credit watch list and impairment analysis
- Prepare and correspond on the year-end and interim external audit on investments
- Prepare investment note disclosures for the quarterly and year-end financial statements for the Company in accordance with IFRS and BMA regulatory requirements
- Assist with the oversight, review and reporting of the BF&M pension plan mutual funds and defined contribution pension investments
- Portfolio performance reporting for client pension portfolios and group balance sheet assets and defined contribution assets
- Communicating with insurance subsidiaries, asset managers, custodial banks, internal and external auditors and other service providers
- Prepare the weekly treasury/cash planning and rebalancing process
- Design, maintain and operate effective internal controls over investments and treasury
- Assist with IFRS 9 and IFRS 17 implementation projects as it relates to investment
- Assist on ad-hoc investment and corporate finance projects as required
The Ideal Candidate will process:
- An internationally recognized accounting designation with 3 years post-qualification experience
- Eligibility for or membership in CPA
- Strong interest in investments, and equity and bond markets required
- Experience with a focus on accounting for complex investment portfolios would be an asset
- Experience within an insurance company or other financial institution would be an asset
- CFA designation or enrollment in the CFA (or other investment program) would be an asset
- Strong attention to detail, analytical and organizational skills
- Agile and able to successfully coordinate and complete multiple tasks to meet established and changing deadlines
- Excellent accounting skills together with advanced spreadsheet skills
- Ability to work both within a team and independently
This is the perfect role for an experienced accounting and finance professional that has a passion and interest in investments. Connect with us today to learn more!
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below:
For more information about this exciting opportunity please contact Heather Labucki, Partner, or Jason Ozon, Consultant, at email@example.com. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Jason Ozon know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email