Job Title: Materials Engineer
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Shaw Group is one of Eastern Canada’s leading natural resource manufacturers and community developers. With a specialty in products for the construction industry, they serve a variety of market sectors and produce close to 1,000 individual products in 12 facilities across the Maritimes. Operating on a decentralized basis through a number of divisions and subsidiaries to provide the best service for their clients, The Shaw Group puts a strong focus on providing a work environment that recognizes individual and team achievements. Committed to making a positive contribution to the communities and regions they operate in, their market has grown to include all of North America and they export product all over the world. The Shaw Group is looking for a Materials Engineer to join their Shaw Resources division.
Reporting directly to the VP of Manufacturing, the Materials Engineer will focus on developing expertise in the Concrete Materials field and other relevant Shaw Resources products developing and adding expertise to a number of programs including quality control, continuous improvement and new product development. As the Materials Engineer, your insights and role as a key company representative in all stages of the process will mean that you will be an invaluable contributing member of the operational team.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing the collection, analysis, and interpretation of Quality data and ensuring CSA standards are met.
- Ensuring compliance with all Regulatory standards related to our products.
- Establishing and documenting standardized operating procedures (SOP’s) as part of developing and maintaining a Quality Assurance program.
- Monitoring to ensure all required testing is performed and reported in a timely manner.
- Communicating with both Suppliers and Customers to ensure a quality SHAW product while looking for opportunities to improve existing recipes.
- Providing technical assistance and problem solving to Manufacturing and Sales teams as necessary.
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives while finding creative ways to improve policies and procedures, especially product sampling.
- Providing support for new product and business development.
- Working to understand the customer and product characteristics so that you can ensure each customer receives a product that best meets their needs.
As a Materials Engineer you have enjoyed being a part of the quality control process and are able to find innovative ways to produce a consistently high quality product. You understand the steps from concept to production and delivery and are able to identify opportunities to improve while ensuring clear communications with all teams involved.
Your qualifications include:
- A Bachelor Degree in Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years’ Experience working in a Materials, Manufacturing Engineering or similar role required.
- Experience with a focus in the fields of concrete/cement industry considered an asset.
- Strong computer skills and proven problem solving experience required.
- Experience with QC/QA and Process Control would be a strong asset.
- Demonstrated experience with information analysis and decision modeling.
- Previous experience conducting physical lab and on-site materials testing.
- Successful candidate will be required to travel between different work locations.
- You always put Safety First.
- As a quick learner and self-driven person you are very methodical in your problem solving and have a track record of success.
- Strong analysis and documentation skills.
- You display leadership qualities like excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills and like to lead by example.
- A Professional, responsive, and positive work attitude is essential.
The Shaw Group has been a part of the community for over 160 years and over time has proven to be adaptable and innovative. It’s an exciting time to be a part of this ever-evolving organization; as a key contributor you will play an integral role in the development and enhancement of product offerings, and you’ll see the product you help to create being used in a variety of regional projects. You will be given the latitude necessary to develop and lead initiatives as well as the support needed to be successful in this venture. In exchange for your experience and expertise, you will receive a competitive compensation and benefits package as well as the opportunity to grow your career.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below.
For more information contact Katherine Risley, Partner, at 902-424-1120 and email@example.com or Jessica Severeyns, Recruitment Specialist at 902-421-1310 and firstname.lastname@example.org, or please apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” button below. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Katherine or Jessica know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email