Director Of Engineering
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
On behalf of our client, Nautics Group, we are looking for a Director of Engineering to join their team in Halifax, Nova Scotia. For over 25 years, Nautics Group develops covert audio & GPS tracking surveillance solutions for their clients in Law Enforcement, Department of Defence, and Intelligence Agencies. With roots in Australia, Canada, and the USA, they partner with other technology leaders to provide their clients the best possible solutions for their covert surveillance needs.
As the Director of Engineering, you will oversee all engineering activities and find unique solutions to improve process and current products while driving new product development. You will also assist the president the day-to-day operations of both the engineering and manufacturing teams and ensure that lines of communication are open and effective for both teams to succeed.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Hands on management of the small engineering (7 people) and manufacturing (3 people) teams. There will be times when you will need to get down in the weeds to solve complex problems or lend a hand
- Managing projects start to finish and developing and implementing strict project timelines and ensure the engineering and manufacturing teams are on time with deliverables, and on budget.
- Partner with the Chief Technology Officer in finding creative solutions for tech development and research
- Develop and implement continuous improvement initiatives to streamline production and reduce bottle necks
- Conducting an environmental audit in the first 3-6 months and working to identify areas of improvement
- Working to identify skill gaps in the engineering team and providing insights on the type of skills required for the projects at hand, including subcontracting resources
- Sourcing and managing outsourced consultants and ensuring they are delivering on scope of contracts as it pertains to project plans.
- Preparing and tracking budgetary requirements for resources and capital facilities/equipment, monitor productivity/quality/inventory/financial performance
- Managing maintenance of existing products to ensure balance between new product development and maintenance of existing products.
- Developing and executing key performance metrics to ensure a safe workplace, customer on-time-delivery and on-quality-delivery, continuous improvement, and financial performance of programs
- Managing Non-Conformance issues that arise internally or externally as they relate to the scope of work
As a leader of people, you take pride in holding your team accountable for project deliverables and budgets, and your communication style and management style ensure a quality product gets delivered on time to customers. You have a vast experience in firmware and software development that allows you to solve complex problems that arise in engineering and production phases, but your experience also gives you a unique creative ability when participating in new product development.
Your qualifications include:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering with an active Professional Engineering Designation
- Demonstrated experience in firmware and software development and a solid knowledge of programming and embedded software language that allows you to jump in and code with the team when needed
- Hardware experience would be an asset
- Experience leading an Engineering Team of 3+ people and wearing many hats in a fast-paced environment
- Having a PMP would be considered an asset
- A strong ability to hold people accountable on project deliverables and a demonstrated understanding of engineering/production best practices
- Demonstrated problem solving and communications skills with internal and external relations are required
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate and manage at all levels of the organization, as well as experience managing plants and facilities
- Continuous improvement, Lean manufacturing and/or Six Sigma experience would be an asset
If you enjoy the smaller company atmosphere where you get to have large impact, Nautics Group is the place to look! Not only do they operate in an extremely exciting and mysterious industry developing products that protect society, but they are offering a great opportunity for this Director of Engineering to come into the organization and have a positive impact while working towards personal and professional growth.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below.
For more information contact Jamie Grant, Partner, at 902-420-1809 or Jessie MacDonald, Recruitment Specialist at 902-424-1129 or please apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” button below. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Jessie know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email