Reference # HL-14810
The Atlantic First Nations Water Authority (AFNWA) represents progress, innovation, and a long-term solution for water and wastewater issues that affect Atlantic First Nations. Incorporated on July 18, 2018 as a non-profit organization under the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, the AFNWA is a ground-breaking First Nation owned organization that will provide water and wastewater services to
participating communities. This approach will ensure a culturally appropriate, service oriented, and technically strong First Nations water utility which will own, operate, and maintain water and wastewater systems of its member communities.
We are excited to be able to partner with AFNWA to hire a Controller to join their growing team at their headquarters in Millbrook, NS. Under the direction of the Manager of Corporate Services, the Controller is directly responsible for all timely and accurate financial reporting and corporate purchasing.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Accountability for the integrity of the month- and year-end corporate financial statements.
- Leading financial accounting of fixed assets, depreciation, and capital cost contributions in accordance with regulatory and utility policies governing AFNWA.
- Monitoring and controlling financial information, including the analysis and reconciliation of general ledger and sub-ledger accounts, bank reconciliations and monitor cash flow.
- Ensuring accounting, internal controls and policy compliance, while managing operational risk. Review policies and procedures and research alternate methods and compile recommendations.
- Directing the corporate procurement function, including developing and monitoring procurement control policies, contracts and agreements, in accordance with the procurement policy and approval authority levels.
- Overseeing corporate disbursements and accountable for the complete accounts payable process.
- Approving payroll, including verification of data; manage payroll accounting and resolve errors.
- Advising AFNWA managers and staff relating to corporate and departmental technical financial information. Assisting all managers with support information for the preparation of yearly budgets.
- Liaising with other AFNWA departments, consultants, suppliers, bankers, external agencies, and auditors. Manage the annual financial review performed by the external auditors.
- Other related duties and special projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Post-secondary degree in business, public administration or related field paired with a professional accounting designation (CPA); a suitable combination of formal education and experience may be considered.
- Five years of broad and progressive senior experience in financial management and general office administration.
- Experience working in First Nation communities would be considered a significant asset, especially in Atlantic Canada.
- Ability to work within a team environment as well as with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to lead, motivate, inspire, support, guide, coach, influence, recruit and develop others while also able to seek input, provide feedback and value contribution of team members.
- Systems savviness including proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Strong communication skills paired with a level of tactfulness and problem-solving skills.
The AFNWA is a determined and emerging organization with a passionate team and culture. If you are an experienced accounting professional who is excited to play an impactful role in their mandate to build capacity, viability, and legacy in First Nation’s communities in Atlantic Canada, this opportunity could be perfect for you. Connect with us today to learn more.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below:
For more information about this exciting opportunity please contact Heather Labucki, Partner, or Jason Ozon, Consultant, at email@example.com. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Jason Ozon know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email