Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis
Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis
Reference # HL-14790
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University (SMU) is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
We are excited to partner with SMU in the search for a Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) to play a lead role on their growing FP&A Team. Under the direction of the Director, Financial Planning & Analysis, the Manager, FP&A is responsible for coordinating the annual budget process for SMU and its departments for the following funds: operating and internally restricted, capital and special projects, including monthly review or variances to ensure overall institutional budget targets and KPI metrics are achieved.
Additional key responsibilities include:
- Assisting in the preparation of the final budget presentation of materials for the Board of Governors.
- Managing the long-range financial plans for SMU, accounting for key assumptions for each entity such as revenue growth, cost control targets, capital spend, strategic business initiatives, etc. and operating margin and cash flow projections.
- Supervising and guiding the financial analysts that support all divisions at SMU which includes managing and improving financial reports, maintaining KPI reports, developing ad hoc reports, providing budget and cost variance analyses, assisting with Return on
- Investment (ROI) analyses for new business plans, and providing guidance to Department Chairs and Senior Management Group.
- Preparing and maintaining the peer review financial benchmarking reporting for the University sector which allows SMU to develop national and regional financial and other key benchmarks related to cost efficiency and financial planning initiatives.
- Acting as continuous improvement champion for the department and the University as support to the Director Financial Planning & Analysis and individually.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Undergraduate degree in Commerce or Business Administration or similar field paired with a professional accounting designation (CPA).
- Three (3) to five (5) years’ directly related experience.
- Understanding of current accounting policies and practices, including accounting for not-for-profit organizations.
- Thorough knowledge of financial, fund and managerial accounting, financial systems, internal controls, financial analysis, and reporting is required.
- Demonstrated progressive leadership experience including engaging staff in a collaborative and cohesive spirit in order to attain desired results.
- Above average interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and advanced skills in Excel.
If you are an experienced finance professional who enjoys forecasting, budgeting and building relationships across an organization, this is a great opportunity for you. Connect with us today to hear more!
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Visit their website at www.smu.ca.
At Saint Mary's University equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities and others who might contribute to the growth and enrichment of our community.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below:
For more information about this exciting opportunity please contact Heather Labucki, Partner, or Jason Ozon, Consultant, at email@example.com. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Jason Ozon know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email