Manager, Financial Reporting & Accounting
Manager, Financial Reporting & Accounting
Reference # HL-14783
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University (SMU) is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
We are excited to partner with SMU in the search for a new Manager, Financial Reporting & Accounting to join their team. Under the direction of the Assistant Director, Financial Services, the Manager, Financial Reporting & Accounting is responsible for the University’s financial reporting, including the policies and procedures that generate, collect and maintain financial data and records in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the accounting policies of the university.
Additional key responsibilities include:
- Management, supervision and training of the Financial Reporting & Accounting (FRA) Coordinator and Accountant Analysts who prepare the accounting entries, reconciliations and other analyses, including those for month-end, year-end, financial statement preparation and the external auditors.
- Working closely with Financial Planning & Analysis (FPA) and other Financial Services, Planning & Analysis (FSPA) employees.
- Designing and distributing financial information externally; this includes preparation of the University’s financial statements and annual financial report.
- Providing advice and support to the Assistant Director, Financial Services, and the Senior Director, Financial Services, the Vice-President Finance and Administration, senior management, and for various University committees, including the Audit & Risk, Finance, Property, Investment Advisory, and Pension Committees.
- Other responsibilities and ad-hoc projects as required.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Undergraduate degree in Commerce or Business Administration or similar field paired with a professional accounting designation (CPA).
- Five to seven years’ directly related experience.
- Understanding of current accounting policies and practices, including accounting for not-for-profit organizations.
- Thorough knowledge of financial, fund and managerial accounting, financial systems, internal controls, financial analysis, and reporting is required.
- Demonstrated progressive leadership experience including engaging staff in a collaborative and cohesive spirit in order to attain desired results.
- Above average interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience and unionized environment experience considered an asset.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software and advanced skills in Excel.
If you are an experienced accounting professional, with exceptional leadership skills who is excited by the opportunity to take SMU to the next level, this is the perfect role for you. Get in touch with us to learn more!
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Visit their website at www.smu.ca
At Saint Mary's University equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities and others who might contribute to the growth and enrichment of our community.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below:
For more information about this exciting opportunity please contact Heather Labucki, Partner, or Sara Morey, Consultant, at email@example.com. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Sara Morey know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email