Manager of Accounting
Manager of Accounting
Reference # HL-14778
Our client is committed to delivering exceptional service to the industries they serve and have a commitment to corporate social responsibility. They believe in making Nova Scotia a better place to live and work. We are pleased to be partnered with them to bring a Manager of Accounting to their team. Reporting to the Senior VP Finance, the Manager of Accounting is responsible for all financial transaction processing including transactions, accounts payable, accounts receivable, banking, taxation, and financial statement reconciliations.
The Manager of Accounting (Manager) is responsible for the planning, distribution and coordination of work within the department. Overseeing the hiring, evaluating, training and development of unionized and non-unionized staff, the Manager leads the team focus on service delivery ensuring accuracy, timeliness and completeness. In addition, the Manager is responsible to ensure compliance with applicable federal and provincial regulations and reporting requirements.
Key responsibilities in this role, among others, will include:
- Managing staff responsible for retail transactions (cash & inventory), as well as managing the Supervisor, Accounting who is responsible for banking, accounts payable and accounts receivable staff.
- Cultivating a strong relationship with Distribution Managers, Store Managers, Corporate Security, and Internal Auditors to identify potential control issues.
- Proactively reviewing all financial transactions processes to achieve efficiency and appropriate control while ensuring work is carried out in accordance with established methods and standards.
- Ensuring completion of monthly and quarterly general ledger reconciliations and ensures that the accounts assigned to staff are accurately documented.
- Overseeing the monthly reconciliation and remittances for HST, excise, and RRFB.
- Determining performance objectives and completing performance appraisals.
- Ensuring monthly financial statement deadlines are met. Accountable to oversee authorizations and other controls for all banking software including wires, foreign exchange, and balance and transactions.
- Participating in the budgeting, forecasting and financial period end processes, with primary focus on retail network expenses; working directly with the business stakeholders of those areas and ensuring integrity/compliance of financial information for decision-making.
- Maintaining open and effective professional relationships in support of building a corporate culture of shared communication and collaboration.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Professional accounting designation (CPA).
- 5 years’ experience in general accounting functions/operations.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a supervisory/leadership capacity.
- Extensive knowledge of professional accounting policies, procedures and theories (GAAP).
- Strong computer literacy skills including “Tier 1” ERP (preferably SAP) and other web-based applications and all standard MS desktop; superior Excel skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strong time management, prioritization, and organizational skills and effective interpersonal skills.
We are looking for an experienced individual with a strong ability to work independently and in a team environment. Someone who uses excellent judgement to plan, distribute and coordinate work will excel in this role. This is an excellent opportunity, and if this sounds like you, apply now!
Our client is committed to ensuring equal opportunity to promote the more equitable participation of women, Aboriginal peoples of Canada, persons with disabilities and members of racially visible communities. By voluntarily providing personal information on your resume, you will assist us in effectively meeting this commitment to improve employment opportunities for members of under-represented groups. Our client strives to maintain a workforce that reflects the diversity of the Nova Scotia working population.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below.
For more information about this exciting opportunity please contact Heather Labucki, Partner, or Sara Morey, Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Sara Morey know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email