AC - 14568
Our client Medavie Blue Cross for over 75 years has been a leading health and wellness partner for individuals, employers and governments across Canada. They are proud to be a not-for-proﬁt organization dedicated to giving back to the communities where they live and work, and to ensuring their employees thrive in their award-winning, collaborative culture. They are one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and are recognized as a Caring Company, a designation for national leaders in community investment and social responsibility.
Their team of 2,100 professionals work across six provinces. They excel by living their shared values of being caring, accountable, responsible, innovative and community minded. They are committed to ensuring the health and wellness of their employees and their families, along with personal and professional growth, through a variety of programs and support at all levels of their organization. Along with Medavie Health Services, they are part of Medavie — a national health organization with over 6,400 employees. Together, their mission is to improve the well-being of Canadians.
Now, on their behalf, we are looking for a Group Underwriter to join this incredible organization.
In this position, you will work with the Group Underwriting management teams to ensure Medavie Blue Cross achieves its budget targets. As well as working closely with the Corporate Sales team in dealings with producers to ensure profitable growth. Within that role, you may have to participate in a renewal negotiation with a producer and/or client. Functions such as coaching and mentoring the teams in regards of risk assessment, best practices and market dynamic are also an important component of this role.
- Assessment of risk and management of major accounts for all line of business
- Renew (and quote) all funding arrangements (Insured, Retention and ASO)
- Setting rates for renewal (and new) group business
- Generating and developing financial agreements (Insured, Retention and ASO)
- Assisting management in creating market strategies (rates, fees, rate guaranteed, cap) of major accounts
- Assisting in growth strategies to develop all three markets
- Coaching, mentoring, and training of underwriters on the team
- Ensuring underwriting targets are met for growth and profitability
- Development and maintenance of ongoing direct relationships with clients and producers
- Participating in client’s meetings as required
- Preparation of Financial statements of ASO and Retention business
- Ability to Underwriting leadership team when needed
- Time-management skills and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment involving multiple tasks and priorities
- You are a problem-solving master, you understand the end goal and think creatively about how to get there
- You are a natural negotiator and can “sell” your ideas and concepts to persuade others to engage in your recommendations
- Post-secondary education in accounting, business, finance, or insurance concepts and/or related experience
- GBA designation under CEBS program strongly preferred
- Strong technical aptitude – you quickly learn new technology and complex systems, like to know they detail to ensure you know the “whole” story
- Proficient to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- You are an effective communicator – you know how to explain complex financial analysis and problems
- More than 5 years of group underwriting experience
- Ability to apply group insurance underwriting principles and to provide technical underwriting solutions for clients
- Self-directed with high levels of personal accountability and responsibility
- Excellent reasoning, judgment, and decision-making abilities
- Possess strong analytical skills with high attention to detail
- Ability to travel occasionally within local area.
Oure client, Medavie Blue Cross is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Medavie Blue Cross will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.
To express interest in this opportunity, please click on the "Apply Now" button below.
For more information, please contact Adam Creaghan, a Senior Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 647-336-1416 or Fay Hage, a Recruitment Specialist at email@example.com or 647-480-1709. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Fay Hage know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice, we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email