AM - 14224
Meridia Recruitment Solutions has partnered with Maritech Construction Inc, a professional design and construction firm established in 2010, to recruit an Estimator to join their team in Amherst, Nova Scotia.
Providing innovative construction solutions on schedule and within budget, Maritech Construction Inc focuses on functionality and economy in design and construction, ensuring the highest standards of quality and performance that are economically sustainable, and to be responsible to their clients, employees, and the community. Offering construction services ranging from general contracting, bid to specifications, construction management and design build, Maritech Construction Inc is known for delivering on a variety new build and renovation of projects from recreational facilities and office buildings to manufacturing facilities.
Reporting to the President, you will participate in project development activities including scope definition and clarification, preconstruction planning, and controlling estimate development and delivery. Project types will include Light Industrial, Commercial and Institutional projects of a variety of sizes located across Atlantic Canada. Essential to the role is coordinating the preparation of full estimates, identifying inherent risk and opportunities, determining general expenses and providing input into the margins or fees, developing strategies to create a competitive edge, as well as reviewing and analyzing subcontractor requirements. As an Estimator, you will also be responsible for building strong relationships with suppliers and sub trades to help build the competitive advantage of your bids.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Conducting detailed analysis of contract documents (isometric, as-built, and engineering drawings) and specifications for hard bid/lump sum projects to determine overall project requirements (bonding, insurance, etc.).
- Capturing and understanding trade scopes, and communicating gaps / missing information.
- Soliciting competitive pricing from trade contractors and suppliers for pursuit support.
- Performing conceptual quantity take-offs to support construction management and design-build pursuits.
- Recognizing risks related to project-specific requirements, site, schedule, and market conditions/constraints.
- Understanding proposal requirements and anticipating what the pursuit lead needs for the proposal (e.g., format, level of detail).
- Completing final cost estimate, adding all labor, equipment, material data, pricing documentation, overhead, and profit margins, and producing a final tender submission for review and approval of chief estimator and district management.
As the ideal candidate you take pride in having ownership of a project and have at least 5 years of experience estimating a variety of projects and contract arrangements for a General Contractor. Your Engineering degree, CET or construction management diploma would be considered a strong asset but more importantly you have demonstrated your strong negotiation and communication skills. What sets you apart is your ability to naturally build and maintain relationships within the world of construction.
Your qualifications will include:
- A postsecondary diploma or degree in related discipline or trade experience or equivalent.
- 5+ years of progressive experience in construction cost estimating.
- Experience successfully leading pursuits valued at up to $10 million in delivery model hard bid/lump sum, construction management/cost reimbursable/target price and/or design-build.
- Experience with self-perform estimate and productivity understanding.
- General construction knowledge; understanding of specifications, materials, and methods and procedures gained through site visits or on-site experience.
- Knowledge of key principles involved in bid preparation, including quantity takeoff procedures, trade contractor procurement, interdepartmental functions, pricing, and bid-closing procedures.
- Ability to use contract terms to identify risks/opportunities with contract/project documents.
- Ability to read isometric, as-built, and engineering drawings.
- Resourceful and self-motivated with strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills including the ability to develop and maintain effective stakeholder relationships.
- Advanced skills using Microsoft Office Suite and internal operations systems: scheduling and estimating software.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below.
For more information contact Austin McLennan, Senior Consultant, at 902-424-1103 and firstname.lastname@example.org or Jessica Severeyns, Recruitment Specialist at 902-421-1310 and email@example.com, or please apply online by clicking the “Apply Now” button below. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Austin or Jessica know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email