Director, Financial Services
Director, Financial Services
Reference # HL-14125
Founded in 1838, Acadia University is one of the oldest and most respected universities in Canada and is known for providing a premium, high engagement, primarily undergraduate student experience. Located in Mi'kma'ki, the ancestral territory of the Mi’kmaq nation, Acadia is just a one-hour drive from Halifax, Nova Scotia, and is an integral part of the quintessential college town of Wolfville, overlooking the Annapolis Valley and the Bay of Fundy. With an enrollment of over 4,000, Acadia attracts students from every province and territory and more than 60 countries around the world.
Now, on their behalf, we are seeking a Director, Financial Services to join their distinguished institution within the Finance Department. Reporting to the Associate Vice President Finance and Treasurer, the Director of Financial Services will be a key member of the Financial Services team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Directing all University accounting, systems of internal control and financial reporting.
- Ensuring University accounting and policies adheres to GAAP policies for non-profit and fund accounting.
- Directing the operational management of all corporate accounting functions, accounts payable, accounts receivable, student accounts, research accounting, capital accounting, budgeting, management reporting, financial reporting, and financial systems management.
- Identifying and implementing improvements in business practices which enhance internal controls, create operational efficiencies, and improve service delivery.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A CPA designation paired with an undergraduate degree in accounting or relevant field.
- A minimum of 10 years of leadership experience of an accounting team and at least 5 years’ experience in management of an annual external audit.
- Demonstrated strategic, operational, and financial management skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills with strong communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
- A rigorous work ethic and a genuine interest in post-secondary education.
- A strong aptitude for technology and extensive knowledge of relational database accounting systems.
- Experience with software query tools such as SQL, expert knowledge of Microsoft applications and experience with macro development and data extraction.
If you are energized by the opportunity to bring your experience to this key role with this premier institution, we would love to have a conversation.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below:
For more information about this exciting opportunity please contact Heather Labucki, Partner, or Jason Ozon, Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Jason Ozon know.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Acadia University is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from Aboriginal people, African Nova Scotians, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, women, and persons of any minority sexual orientation or gender identity. Consistent with the principles of employment equity, the primary criterion for appointment to a position is qualifications and professional excellence. Candidates who identify as a member of one of the afore-mentioned groups, and who wish to have the application considered as such, are invited to submit the online Employment Equity Voluntary Self-Identification Form as part of their application package. The university will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email