Manager, Group Underwriting
Manager, Group Underwriting
Moncton, NB or Halifax, NS
Reference # HL-13313
Our client is an undisputed leader in their industry. They are dedicated to giving back to their communities and ensuring their employees thrive in their award-winning, collaborative culture. They have one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and with their team of professionals they excel by living their shared values of being caring, accountable, responsible, innovative and community-minded. We are looking for a Manager, Group Underwriting to join this incredible team.
Reporting to the Director, Group Underwriting, the Manager will work with the Group Underwriting teams to ensure the organization achieves its underwriting targets. As well, you will work closely with the Sales team to ensure our group business achieves profitable growth. In partnering with sales representatives, you may participate in final presentations or negotiating renewals with clients. You will coach and mentoring the underwriting teams in regards of underwriting, best practices and market dynamic. Lastly, you will participate and lead strategic projects to increase efficiencies and processes that will proactively address market needs.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assessing the risk and management of major accounts for all lines of business;
- Applying group insurance underwriting principles and assessment techniques to provide technical underwriting solutions for customers;
- Ensuring efficiencies in the small groups unit (Centre of Excellence);
- Expanding and creating market strategies (rates, fees, rate guaranteed, cap) of major accounts;
- Contributing to the growth objectives of the organization
- Developing and growing relationships with external stakeholders including, but not limited to, clients, brokers, consultants, and internal stakeholders;
- Participating in presentations for clients and consultants as required;
- Coaching and mentoring underwriters on the team
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant knowledge of group benefits and underwriting with 5-10 years of group underwriting experience
- Relevant post-secondary education; GBA designation under the CEBS program is strongly preferred
- Excellent knowledge of group benefit plans;
- Excellent knowledge of financial agreements for all LOB, including Life and LTD;
- Knowledge of competitors’ strengths and weaknesses;
- High levels of personal accountability and responsibility and the ability to be a self-starter;
- Excellent reasoning, judgment and decision-making abilities;
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail;
- Time-management skills and enjoy working in a fast paced environment involving multiple tasks and priorities;
- Strong negotiation and presentation skills;
- Strong business acumen
If you are looking for a leadership role in a challenging, fast-paced and team-oriented work environment with a leading national organization, the Manager, Group Underwriting is the role you want. Candidates have the option to be based in either Moncton, NB or Halifax, NS.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking “Apply Now” below:
For more information contact Heather Labucki, Partner or Jason Ozon, Consultant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register to be notified of career opportunities and advice by email